[ Features Index | Metro Santa Cruz | MetroActive Central | Archives ]
IF YOU answer yes to the following questions, then you're ready for the desert.|
The desert doesn't suffer fools--be prepared to rough it a bit. There are no cappuccinos in Barstow! Here's a basic checklist.
- I don't mind a little heat.
- I don't mind a hell of a lot of heat.
- I am on a spiritual quest.
- I love geology.
- I can live without sushi for a week or two.
[ Santa Cruz | MetroActive Central | Archives ]
- Bring your own corkscrew, stemware and wine. Small desert communities are strongholds of American beer, and we're not talking microbrew. The only wines are wines you don't want to drink.
- Load up on bottled water at an AM/PM market and sip it all day long.
- Bring loose clothing, a hat, two pairs of sturdy shoes for hiking on rocky trails and a bathing suit.
- Bring watercolors as well as a camera--the colors and shapes of the desert will bring out your inner artist.
- Always travel with a notebook--the desert induces self-reflection.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!
- A playmate--you'll need something to do on those long afternoons when it's too hot to go outdoors.
From the April 28-May 5, 1999 issue of Metro Santa Cruz.
Copyright © Metro Publishing Inc. Maintained by Boulevards New Media.