[ Almanack Index | Metro | Metroactive Central | Archives ]
Get Married ... Now!
If you and your honey want to pull off a spontaneous wedding, get your eggs together and head down to Superior Court. It can be done.
- You've got to be an unmarried man and an unmarried woman. This ain't Utah.
- Bring IDs--driver's license, green card, passport or birth certificate--to prove you're at least 18 and you're you.
- Fill out marriage license and turn it in. Usually takes around 15 minutes to process. Bring $73 for the filing charge. Cash, check, Visa and Discover Card accepted.
- After getting the license, you can usually get married the same day, but make an appointment just to be sure (408/299-8583).
- Ceremonies are held at Superior Court, conducted Monday-Thursday, every half hour from 1:30 to 4pm, and Fridays from 9 to 11:30am and 1:30 to 4pm.
- At the courthouse, bring the marriage license, your significant other, cash or check for $50, one witness, and an interpreter if you need one.
- Hold hands. Say "I do" when instructed. Kiss.
- Use the money you've just saved and put a down payment on a house.
[ San Jose | Metroactive Central | Archives ]
From the March 5-11, 1998 issue of Metro.
Copyright © Metro Publishing Inc. Maintained by Boulevards New Media.